Thursday, April 22, 2004

Last night we went out to dinner with a friend of ours from Europe. Well, he’s actually from Houston but works in Europe (or sometimes Russia or Africa). Anyway, he was in town for training for a month, but it was cut a few days short when he got a call from his fiancée informing him that apparently she was exposed to Botulism, and began exhibiting symptoms of the illness. For those who are unaware, here is a definition of botulism, courtesy of the CDC:
Botulism is a rare but serious paralytic illness caused by a nerve toxin that is produced by the bacterium Clostridium botulinum…All forms of botulism can be fatal and are considered medical emergencies.

That’s some crazy sh*t. There are only two cities in the world that keep stocks of the botulism anti-dote, and she happened to be in one of them when she got sick, so we’re hoping for a speedy recovery.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Blogarama - The Blog Directory