<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, May 26, 2004

Laptop options 
I checked out the various laptop options that will be available for purchase from IBM through HBS. The discount works out to around 30% off of published prices, which seems like a pretty good deal. I am debating between the top end model and the mid-range one. There are four big differences:
1.7 GHz processor vs. 1.6 GHz
Bluetooth vs. No bluetooth
ATI Mobility Fire GLT2 128 Mb graphics board vs. ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 32Mb board
$1800+ vs. $1500+

Add in another 512Mb of RAM and the onsite warranty and I am looking at around $2250 for the top end model or $1850 for the mid-range. Now, I am completely indifferent to the variation in processing speeds, and I don't foresee getting much use at all out of bluetooth, so it really comes down to the graphics processors. I am not a big gamer, and I don't anticipate spending a lot of time playing games over the next two years, so I imagine I can do fine without the fancy graphics board. With the cheaper laptop I could probably go with a good personal laser printer and a port replicator, but those frills may not be possible with the more expensive model.

Anyway, let me know what you think...

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Blogarama - The Blog Directory