<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, May 08, 2004

More moving and living info... 
Mad props to Brad for finding out that Budget has a great deal on trucks. If we choose our dates right, we can move from Houston to Boston, with 2200 included miles and a car carrier, for only $1150. That's a sweet deal.

I have previous history with a Budget rental truck, though, and it isn't pretty. The one I rented was for a move within Houston and it was only like $100 for the day. In the end it turned out to be about a $2000 move. I got a 15' truck made by Isuzu, and the cab was designed so that you were basically sitting slightly forward of the front wheels, which gives the truck a much tighter turning radius than you would think possible. Anyway, I recruited friends and family to help load and unload. We get everything loaded up and we all start caravaning to the new apartment. I pull in the complex, and I decide that I am going to pull up parallel to the closest entrance to my apartment. The only problem is that there is a car parked slightly behind the entrance, so I have to wedge in infront of it. Apparently, with the tighter turning radius, I misjudged by about an inch, cause the corner of the cargo portion of the truck scraped all the way down that Chrysler Sebring. Ouch. I ripped the panel over the gas cap right off but didn't even touch the cap itself. All in all I suppose I was lucky because another inch or so would have meant a lot more damage. I already had a total loss on my record, so I paid the lady's damage out of pocket to avoid another insurance claim. Although it probably was a wash versus reporting it to insurance, I just didn't want to go down that road. Anyway, I hope this upcoming rental through Budget goes more smoothly.

On the living situation, Jie and I are thinking about waiting to see if we get offered a 3 bedroom apartment in One Western or SFP. We could then pick up a roommate (hopefully), to reduce the cost. We both really want to live on campus, so we may hold out for that option. So many choices...

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Blogarama - The Blog Directory