<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Mid-terms 
My post earlier today was part of an answer I gave to a social life survey that I filled out today. I thought that I would go ahead and post it because I hadn't written anything in a few days. Now that I am watching the final innings of the game, though, I can write something legit.

Well, I've now completed mid-terms in TOM, LEAD, and FRC (Accounting). The marketing midterm is in 2-3 weeks, and in Finance instead of a midterm we have periodic quizzes. We've also received class participation feedback in TOM and MKTG, and we'll be getting it in LEAD and FRC next week. Thus far my feedback has been generally positive, so I feel good about that. I finished my FRC exam really quickly, much to the amazement of my sectionmates, but it was a rehash of the material I learned just a couple of years ago at UH so it wasn't too bad. I'm gaining a reputation for speed, though, which I suppose I'll have to work to maintain.

I've managed to pretty much settle into a nice routine, and time management doesn't seem to be nearly the issue that it was a few weeks ago. Most of the gains in time have occured by taking advantage of time here and there to read cases, and also the hour or so I've saved each day by not working out. Yes, I know that this is unproductive in the long run, but it really has made life easier. I've got another 3-4 weeks to contemplate career moves, work on my resume, and get an action plan together for finding an internship. I am participating on a career team, which is a group of 1st year students led by a 2nd year, so that should help with career direction and internship game-planning. Also, there are resume coaches to help with that part of it. But oh how I dread working on my resume.

I'm of two minds about my prospects for changing careers directly into investment management. On the one hand, I searched through the 2nd year's resumes and I couldn't find a single person who went from 0 IM experience to a summer internship. On the other, I will be looking for something in Texas and so it's likely that I'll have more opportunities than someone with my experience looking for a position in New York or Boston. I also have my experience on the level 1 CFA exam to help me. Well, I guess I'll find out in a few months.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Blogarama - The Blog Directory