<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, December 30, 2004

Q&A 
I received an e-mail with some questions and I thought I would post my answers here for all to see. My responses are altogether too brief, but unfortunately the job search is taking all my time these days:

Q: I currently work for [a consulting firm] doing IT consulting work - however, my goal is to enter the Strategy Consulting arena. I believe that most HBS students/applicants are career changers (I believe you are one of them) - do you think this is a disadvantage while applying to HBS - are there others that want to make a similar shift in consulting (IT to Strategy)?

A: As long as you have a clear goal in mind and it is consistent with your experience and the rest of your application, you should be all set. There aren’t a lot of IT consultants in general at HBS, at least not compared to Strategy Consultants. I don’t know why that is…

Q: What kind of community and leadership activities (inside and outside work) were you involved in before HBS?


A: I had relatively little in the way of EC activities. Fortunately, HBS knows (or assumes) that most applicants work a lot of hours, so it wasn't a big deal.

Q: What are your thoughts on acing the GMAT - I take it in Feb. How did you prepare?

A: I used the Kaplan GMAT prep book and another book recommended by Montauk that I can't remember or find on Amazon. Plus the sample tests on the GMAT website. Everyone is so different with regards to test preparation that my style probably wouldn’t help anyone else...

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Blogarama - The Blog Directory