<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Hit or Miss 
Classes thus far have been pretty hit or miss.  On the one hand things are pretty interesting and move pretty quickly in just about every class.  There are several reasons for this, including the fact that the professors are teaching subjects near and dear to them, the students chose the class, and we’ve had the benefit of the RC to get up to biz speed.  What has surprised me (but shouldn’t have) is the unevenness in the quality of the courses.  

I am in Managing Service Operations with Frances Frei, a world-class instructor if there ever was one, and the class is terrific.  I probably average more than one “a-ha” per class period, which is a pretty big deal.  She is incredibly passionate about the subject matter and it comes through, so I absolutely don’t regret putting her course #1 even though I could have gotten in with a lower ranking.

Then there are other classes, which I won’t single out by name.  Those professors are also experts in their field and display passion for the subject, but for some reason the learning just isn’t there and I don’t feel like I am really being transformed, to use the HBS lingo.  Fortunately, I only have one or maybe two classes in this bucket, so I’m doing well.

Anyway, lots to do before I head to a recruiting thing later, so I’d better get cracking.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Blogarama - The Blog Directory